The long history of the Croda da Lago Mountain hut
1901 – 1904
Construction and the Barbaria management
The mountain hut history started back in 1901 with the construction of the “Barbaria Hütte” now “Croda da Lago” mountain hut, by the alpine guide Giovanni Barbaria “Zuchin” (1850 – 1939) by Lake Federa, at a 2046 m altitude.
The land and wood for the construction of the building was given by the Municipality and amongst the clauses, it is possible to see a final one that reads “it is recommended not to serve too many drinks to the shepherds” referring to Malga Federa, an alpine shepherds’ hut located just 2 km away from the mountain hut.
Reichenberg and the Lacedelli management
In 1905, Barbaria decided to sell the mountain hut to the D.Oe.A.V section of Reichenberg. Despite the numerous alpinists that frequented the area, the returns did not match Giovanni’s expectations (it appears that no friend visitor wouldn’t be offered a few drinks, naturally for free).
The building was immediately renovated by the new owners and it was officially opened in 1905 and renamed “Reichenbergerhütte”. The management responsibilities were given to Serafino Lacedelli “Finuco melo” (1875 – 1953) who was the keeper of the mountain hut until the breakout of the First World War.
CAI Cortina and reopening after the war and the management by Toscani management
In 1920, after the end of the world war, the mountain hut passed from to the Reichenberg section to the CAI (Italin Alpine Club) section of Cortina and was named “Rifugio Croda da Lago” , name that was kept until 1947.
It reopened in 1923 after long and expensive work and was managed for 23 years by a married couple: Achille Toscani and Vittoria Zardini.
In 1944, during the Second World War, the mountain hut became a German garrison and was severely damaged.
1946 – 1993
The Siorpaes Management
On 8th April 1946, the CAI decided to entrust the management of the mountain hut to Marcello Siorpaes “da Sorabances” nephew of the famous Santo, the conqueror of the Becco di Mezzodì mountain.
On 18th July 1948, following a donation made by the Palmieri family, in memory of their son, who fell in World War II, the mountain hut was renamed “Rifugio Gianni Palmieri alla Croda da Lago”.
In the early 60s, Marcello passed the baton to his son Renato and his family who ran it until 1993.
1994 – Present • Alverà Management
In 1994, the management of the mountain hut was entrusted to Alverà Modesto “Pazifico”, alpine guide and “Scoiattolo” (“squirrel” – as members of the famous Cortina climbing group are called) who still runs it together with his wife Monica Molin (daughter of the famous alpine guide Alziro Molin) and his 6 children.
Several improvements are made each year, so the mountain hut can become more and more comfortable and inviting.
“1901 Barbaria Hütte 2001 Rifugio Croda da Lago Gianni Palmieri un secolo di storia” by Ernesto Majoni.